Kristy Lombard is a newer OPA Member and participating Ceramic Showcase artist who won a 3rd place award last year, and has her winning piece featured on this year’s poster. Here is a little bit more about the artist.“I actually got started in ceramics in high school. I went to David Douglas High School here in Portland and Ron Linn was my teacher. After that I somehow found myself majoring in ceramics at the University of Oregon and got my BFA in 2003. I got into teaching in 2004 when I took on the classes at Georgies. Teaching was great and I continued that for seven years. But, by 2011 I was ready for a break from teaching and wanted to focus more on being a maker. So now I am juggling art shows/fairs, galleries, a little wholesale, workshops here and there and I just started doing Portland Saturday Market this year!
It keeps me really busy, but I like the interaction I get by selling my work in person at the shows.I am always trying to come up with something new for Showcase! I have an idea or two in the works for my gallery piece, and I would really like to come up with a new form to offer my customers. I think it is imperative to keep evolving with your work! Not only to expand your own creativity, but also so that you can keep offering fresh new work to your customers.Honestly, I can’t remember if I joined in 2005 or 2006! This will be my 5th year having a booth at Showcase, but I took advantage of being a gallery only artist for a couple of years before that.”
26 Questions with Kristy LombardBorn and raised in this area, so 34 years
2.What is your favorite season in Oregon?Spring
3.What’s your favorite movie?Pride and Prejudice
4. Favorite current TV show?Walking Dead
5. A book you plan on reading?Anything historical fiction
6. A book you read in school that positively shaped you?To Kill A Mockingbird
7. A ceramic artist that has influenced you?Ron Linn, Sana Krusoe, Justin Novak, Julia Galloway & Marek Cecula (All teachers of mine in some way)
8.Favorite non-ceramic artist?I don’t really have a traditional ‘favorite’ because I like too many! But right now I am in love with Sophie Blackall’s work.
9. What’s your favorite source for inspiration?Nature and people
10. Beer or wine?Wine
11. Favorite restaurant?Breakside Brewery
12. Ideal breakfast?German Pancake
13. Favorite dessert.CAKE!
14.Weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?Mystery meat that was cold in Taiwan. I still don’t know what that was.
15. Favorite band?Florence + Machine
16.Favorite lyric?‘I can’t complain but sometimes I still do’ — Joe Walsh
17. Dogs or cats?Dogs
18. Bird watching or whale watching?Whale Watching
19. Person you want to have coffee with?I don’t drink coffee, but I’d have tea with Tina Fey.
20. What’s your favorite board game?Anything but Monopoly!
21.What’s the last country you visited?Mexico
22. What’s a country you’d like to visit?Greece & Italy
23. What’s your favorite constellation?Orion & Big Dipper (honestly, the only two I can spot!)
24. Best way to decompress?TV, popcorn and cuddling with my husband and dogs on the couch
25. When you’re not in the studio you’re…?I’m doing any number of things, but what I like best is to be out exploring new places.26. What’s your booth number at Ceramic Showcase?B-11And Check out some of the other shows that she sells at!Art Elements Gallery (Newberg, OR)
The Art Shop (Corvallis, OR)
Crow Valley Pottery (Orcas Island, WA)
Blue Alchemy (Sisters, OR)
Soon to be at Mossy Creek Pottery (Depoe Bay, OR)
Portland Saturday Market
Bellevue Festival of the Arts
Art in the High Desert (hopefully!)
Corvallis Fall Festival
Art in the BurbsThanks for the interview, Kristy!