Anthony Gordon, a 12 year member of the OPA from Corvallis was the proud recipient of the 2013 Best of Show award for her piece Breaking Free . It is one of the pieces that has been featured on this years Ceramic Showcase poster
I was born in Virginia, and ended up in Corvallis in 1991, and have loved being here ever since.
I had my first wheel experience as a child, at age 10, but I never touched clay again until I was a 36 year old mother of a one year old: taking pottery lessons one evening a week in Pretoria, South Africa.
I have been incorporating animals into my forms since beginning. My studio is named Chimera Clay because I often combine animal forms to make fantastic and symbolic creatures. Especially I have combined woman and horse forms and not at all like a centaur! Currently my work is focussing on cups with sculptural animal lug handles, wilderness tea bowls to celebrate 50 years of the Wilderness Act, and mosque like forms, in memory of the destruction of the beautiful architecture of Mali.
1.How long have you lived in the area? Since 1991, that is 23 years.
2. What is your favorite season in Oregon? Spring, right now.
3. What’s your favorite movie? Laurence of Arabia
4. Favorite current TV show? Justified
5. A book you plan on reading? Moby Dick, maybe?
6. A book you read in school that positively shaped you? Beginner’s Mind by Shunryu Suzuki
7. A ceramic artist that has influenced you? Cynthia Spencer
8. Favorite non-ceramic artist? Leonard Cohen
9. What’s your favorite source for inspiration? Inspiration…cave art
10. Beer or wine? a smoky IPA
11. Favorite downtown restaurant? Por Que Nos? (east side)
12. Ideal breakfast? Pie
13. Favorite dessert. dark chocolate
14. Weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten? leopard meat in Zimbabwe
15. Favorite band? Luminescent Orchestrii (are they still together?)
16. Favorite lyric? most any by Chris Smither
17. Dogs or cats? Dogs, but I like cats too.
18. Bird watching or whale watching? Bird watcing
19. Person you want to have coffee with? Heidi Preus Grew
20. What’s your favorite board game? dominoes
21. What’s the last country you visited? Mexico
22. What’s a country you’d like to visit? Japan
23. What’s your favorite constellation? the moon
24. Best way to decompress? walking with my dog
25. When you’re not in the studio you’re…? gardening, or reading or listening to live music, or watching a Timbers game, or being with friends
26. What’s your booth number at Ceramic Showcase? My showcase booth is J13, near the Demonstration Stage.
See you at Ceramic Showcase, Anthony! Thanks for the interview!